An online magazine with information related to attractions, lodging, dining,
and travel resources in selected areas of Washinton
Fort Columbia was constructed in 1896 and manned until 1947. It's primary purpose was to provide harbor defense at the mouth of the Columbia River. Fort Columbia is located on the north side of the river and, together with Fort Stevens on the south side, it covered the critical waterway with heavy artillery. Fort Columbia's defenses included Batteries Ord, Murphy and Crenshaw. (All three of these were named for U.S. Army officers who died in battle in 1904 during the war with Spain.) When the fort was decommissioned these batteries were armed with three inch, six inch and eight inch guns. All of these guns were removed, but in 1994 a pair of decommissioned six inch guns were returned.
Fort Columbia became a State Park a few years after the military left. Today it is possible to rend vacation housing in some of the post buildings.