An online magazine with information related to attractions, lodging, dining,
and travel resources in selected areas of Washinton
Fort Flagler is located near Port Townsend at the northern end of Marrowstone island in the Admiralty Inlet off of Puget Sound. It was built in the 1890s as an important part of the Triangle of Fire that later included Forts Worden and Casey and protected the approach by sea to the Seattle area. After the sinking of the USS Maine in 1898 in Havana it was regarded as being extremely important because there was some concern lest the Spanish fleet attack the Puget Sound Naval Station in Bremerton. It is named after Brigadier General Daniel Webster Flagler, Chief of Ordnance at the time of it's construction. Fort Flagler was deactivated in 1953. Today it is a Washington State Park.