Wandering Lizard
The Sierra Nevada Mountains

An Online Magazine with Information relating to attractions, lodging, dining,
and travel resources in selected areas of California

Mariposa County

Coulterville, Mariposa County - A Gold Rush Town

Coulterville

During the Gold Rush in the middle of the nineteenth century, gold was discovered in several of the creeks in this part of the Sierra Mountains. In 1850 George W. Coulter established a tent store to supply the miners working the rich placer deposits. A settlement grew up around the store and was called "Banderita." In 1853 a post office was established and the name of the settlement was changed to Maxwell Creek. In 1854 the name was changed to Coulterville.

Coulterville
Coulterville Coulterville
Coulterville
Coulterville
Coulterville

Cristalen believes all information to be correct
but assumes no legal responsibility for it's accuracy

Copyright by Cristalen © 1997 through © 2013. All Rights Reserved

This web site constructed and maintained by Cristalen
About the Photography | What's New | Who What Why | Navigation Tips | List Your Property | Contact Us | Index