M.H. de Young Museum
The M.H. de Young Museum is located in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. It is one of the oldest museums on the West Coast. The original building was a part of the 1894 California Midwinter International Exposition. Following the exposition this building was turned into a museum and named after prominent San Francisco resident Miechel de Young, merchant, jeweler and journalist. De Young founded the Daily Dramatic Chronicle in 1865. It was the forerunner of the San Francisco Chronicle. The museum's original structure made it through the earthquake and fire of 1906, but the Loma Prieta Earthquake damaged it badly in 1989. In 2005 the present building was opened to the public amidst considerable controversy. The superb pre-Hispanic and African collections are particularly noteworthy and make a visit worthwhile in and of themselves. In addition, many first class traveling exhibits find their way to the de Young.