Mendocino County
Yorkville

Yorkville: Black Bart is said to have frequented this area.  It would have been a fine place to hide out.  Even today it is mostly country and closer to the pace of life of a bygone era than the hustle and bustle of modern life. 

The earliest pioneers to arrive in the Yorkville area included Alexander C. McDonald.  He was born in New Jersey in 1814 and purchased land in the newly established Mendocino County in 1859.  The road from Ukiah south to San Francisco passed by his property and he established a public house and stage coach stop at his ranch.  Because McDonald's Station was located at the highest point on the road it was popularly known as "Mountain House" and the road to it was called Mountain House Road.

McDonald saw the importance of linking the coast to the inland valleys and consequently pushed a road from his inn to the coast through the Andersen Valley past Boonville to the mouth of the Navarro River.  This opened the area to settlement in the middle of the nineteenth century.  A narrow guage railroad was built alongside the Stage road and eventually was replaced by the existing State Highway #128.  Mountain House Road still exists and is a beautiful drive through rolling hills.  The Yorkville Highlands is home to several Christmas tree farms and a couple of small wineries in addition to the farms and ranches that have existed since the middle of the nineteenth century.

Yorkville

Yorkville

Yorkville

Yorkville

Continue...